HDPE is the high density version of PE plastic. It is harder, stronger and a little heavier than LDPE, but less ductile. Dishwasher safe.
HDPE is lighter than water, and can be moulded, machined, and joined together using welding (difficult to glue). The appearance is wax-like, lustreless and opaque. The use of UV-stabilizators (carbon black) improves its weather resistance but turns it black. Some types can be used in contact with food.
HDPE is resistant to many different solvents and has a wide variety of applications, including:
- Bottle caps
- Bottles, suitable for use as refillable bottles
- Chemical resistant piping systems
- Coax cable inner insulators (dielectric insulating spacer)
- Fuel tanks for vehicles
- Laundry detergent bottles
- Milk jugs
- Watering cans
- Corrosion protection for steel pipelines
- Folding chairs and tables
- Natural gas distribution pipe systems
- Plastic bags
- Water pipes, for domestic water supply